Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory server installation

Hello everyone!

I am pretty new to Linux in general so try not to be too hard for me in terms of general knowledge. My questions will probably seem typical for someone who is not used to Linux. I am a Windows user for over 20 years.

I recently got installed Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 on my gaming laptop (dual boot with Windows 10) to mess around with Linux for a bit. I am starting to get used to using Linux and the GNOME terminal in general. Still I am experiencing some issues (probably newbie issues) with installing Wolfenstein Enemy Territory using this guide: https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/wetserver/

After executing “./wetserver install” in the terminal it starts installing but comes across some error(s):

"jq
tmux
netcat
lib32gcc1
lib32stdc++6
Warning! Missing dependencies: jq tmux netcat lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6
Warning! wetserver does not have sudo access. Manually install dependencies.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt update; sudo apt install jq tmux netcat lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6"

after this error the terminal/system goes on installing the server and after all was done (except for the things that gave the error) the terminal tells me to start the server with “./wetserver start” but this doesn’t go too well as the following error shows up:

wetserver@joris-MSI-ubuntu:~$ ./wetserver start
Warning! Missing dependencies: jq tmux netcat lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6
Warning! wetserver does not have sudo access. Manually install dependencies.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt update; sudo apt install jq tmux netcat lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6

I understand that my biggest problem is related to the fact that I am not executing the commands as a sudo user, but can anyone guide me on how to do this as a sudo user? “joris@joris-MSI-ubuntu” is the user created when installing Ubuntu, “wetserver” is the user I created with LinuxGSM.

My apologises for being such a newbie, but I’m trying to learn!

EDIT: before asking, the specifications of my system (a gaming laptop) are WAY beyond the minimum specs for running a Wolfenstein ET server.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz × 8
GRAPHICS: GeForce GTX 950M/PCIe/SSE2 / GeForce GTX 950M/PCIe/SSE2
RAM: 8 GB DDR3L (SODIMM)
SSD: 128 GB mSATA
HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM

Hi @fANAT1C

You need to run the command as the root user not the wetserver user you would have created following the installation guide.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386; sudo apt update; sudo apt install jq tmux netcat lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6

This will make the packages available and you should have no issues starting the server afterwards as the wetserver user.

1 Like

Oh I will check it out! Thanks for your quick reply :slight_smile:

One more question though, how do I add “wetserver” user to the “sudoers” list?

I won’t recommend adding the gameserver user to sudoers. Sudo is not really needed by the gameserver user. Better switch to root or other sudoer user to install packages.